Arts Consulting Group (ACG) is the leading provider of hands-on interim management, executive search, revenue enhancement, strategic planning & community engagement, facilities & program planning, and other capacity building services for the arts and culture industry. Founded in 1997, ACG is a full-service firm that effectively works with a wide range of nonprofit organizations, universities, government agencies, and for-profit entities that operate in the creative industries. The firm takes a contemporary approach to client challenges and opportunities focused on growing institutions, advancing arts and culture, and enhancing communities. ACG senior team members have leadership experience in every type of artistic and cultural discipline and they seamlessly adapt to clients’ rapidly changing strategies, business models, and operating environments.
ACG’s commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Success (IDEAS) means that team members work closely with each client to understand the intersectionality of programs, audiences, educational activities, governance, and management with a clear focus on the communities these organizations seek to serve. Each client is unique and therefore these areas require careful discussion and consensus within the organization to ensure clarity at the launch of and throughout any consulting process. ACG also actively engaged in ongoing collective internal growth and team improvement around IDEAS principles with formal training and research focused on broader societal understanding and learning.
The firm currently has locations in Boston, Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York, Portland, Raleigh, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, DC. ACG employees and consultants are embedded in communities throughout North America to invigorate clients so that they can achieve the delicate balance between cultural impacts and business sustainability.
The Research Manager (Manager) will implement rigorous and objective methodologies related data collection, data analysis, preliminary findings, and other research functions that support to the firm’s various practice areas. Primary activities will include qualitative and quantitative survey development, compensation benchmarking, web & social media research, and gathering and presenting information from established national and regional datasets from primary and secondary sources. These sources could include but are not limited to surveys, focus groups, and interviews with analysis of comparable and contrasting themes that highlight consistency and gaps in results. Significant elements include salary benchmarking reports and public information research from websites, the press, and social media on candidates for Executive Search. The Manager will be expected to manage multiple projects with a high degree of speed, accuracy, and autonomy, including analyzing, drafting, editing, and formatting data reports within ACG’s style guides and with careful data attribution. The Manager will be supported by Project Associates and the Marketing and Communications department. Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Research, the Manager will interface with employees across the firm, as well as project consultants and strategic partners as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
Data Collection, Research, and Analysis
- Perform rigorous quantitative and quantitative data collection, including written surveys, stakeholder engagement discussions, financial statements, and organizational structure reviews among other areas.
- Gather and present data analysis of new and existing datasets obtained from government, economic development entities, research agencies, industry associations, and corporate entities among others.
- Analyze qualitative research gathered through stakeholder engagement, identifying essential themes and perspectives obtained through survey questionnaires, in-person and virtual individual interviews, focus groups, and town halls.
- Write clear, concise, objective, and comprehensive client research elements of reports that clearly articulate data collection methodology and sources, data analysis processes, key findings, and recommendations that are supported by literature reviews and detailed bibliographies.
- Translate organizational objectives, historical data, and best practices into detailed financial and capacity modeling, adapted in format to interface with current client systems for effective integration and application.
- Rigorously apply considerations of statistical reliability and bias to all analysis, as well as gain knowledge in equity, diversity, inclusion, and access principles related to data interpretation activities.
- Catalog ongoing sources of industry data and commentary, and utilize those sources to expand ACG’s internal library to foster learning and professional development for the ACG team.
- Provide background research on potential client organizations for use in business development and proposal drafting across practice areas, including information from active websites, historical news or press releases, publicly available financial information, and aggregated data available in industry publications.
- Embrace other data collection, research, and analysis responsibilities as needed.
Project Administration and Team Support
- Manage a complex portfolio of activities with overlapping timelines to effectively complete client and firm deliverables on time, on budget, and on scope.
- Monitor and track project tasks and timelines, including identifying bottlenecks and capacity obstacles for team leadership.
- Create online surveys, generate links, and distribute information to the project leads.
- Follow firm methodologies, templates, and project reporting guidelines.
- Ensure the timely submission of expenses and invoices related to data gathering.
- Obtain certifications and ongoing training in the use of key project tools, project management systems, and statistical analysis software.
- Maintain current knowledge of other ACG practice areas as appropriate to support project teams with customized and refined analyses to support project goals.
- Embrace other project administration and team support responsibilities as needed.
Firm Capacity Building
- Create synergy within a distributed workforce with a one firm, one team model through regular team meetings, training sessions, and summits.
- Participate in weekly all-team, and active projects meetings, as well as annual in-person summits.
- Develop, write, and publish periodic Arts Insights articles on current data and trends in the arts and culture industry.
- Actively seek professional growth in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion and collaborate with the team to advance the firm’s understanding and practices around these principles as a whole.
- Assist in the refinement of firm methodologies, policies, procedures, and project reporting.
- Share expertise with other ACG employees and consultants to build the firm’s intellectual capacity.
- Participate in ongoing educational programs, training, meetings, and other activities to maintain the highest level of knowledge within the industry.
- Develop effective service integration between practice areas and locations in business development and communication.
- Build the brand, visibility, and presence of ACG locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Embrace other firm capacity building and team participation responsibilities as needed.
Traits and Characteristics
The successful Manager will be detail oriented with a keen eye for accuracy and consistency with highly evolved planning and systemization abilities. The Manager will be organized, structured, and a motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently. This individual will also have sound judgment, be objective, inquisitive, and thoughtful in prioritizing methodologies and tasks to achieve desired outcomes. The Manager must also be adept at simultaneously implementing multiple projects with efficiency and effectiveness, including balancing quality deliverables with reasonable investments of time and resources. A responsive and focused team player, this individual will communicate effectively, address immediate requests and critical deadlines, and work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment while supporting the mission, vision, and values of ACG.
A minimum of three to five years of applicable experience in data collection and analysis, as well as in quantitative and qualitative research is required. Experience designing and managing primary research studies utilizing tools such as SurveyMonkey, Qualtrics, MRI/Simmons, Claritas, and Google Analytics is expected. A deep understanding of questionnaire design and skills at using logic, macros, and tools such as Tableau to manipulate large databases to develop analyses will be required for success in the position. Exceptional written and visual communication skills, including excellent computer skills in Office 365 (web and desktop applications of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sharepoint, and Teams) are necessary. Strong capabilities with various video conference platforms (Teams, Zoom, Google Hangout) will be utilized on a daily basis. Preference will be given to those with a background in or passion for the arts and creative industries, but this is not required.
Compensation and Benefits
ACG offers a competitive compensation package, with an expected salary range of $55,000 to $65,000 (commensurate with experience), and benefits that include subsidized medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) employer match; and among others. This position is expected to be 100% remote, based anywhere with internet access in the US and Canada. Occasional company in-person meetings and events will require travel.
Applications and Inquiries
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this job opportunity, please contact:
Nagham Wehbe, Associate Vice President
8581 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 406
Los Angeles, CA 90069-4120
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 228
Arts Consulting Group, Inc. and Arts Consulting Group Canada, Ltd. welcome all qualified applicants and highly values inclusion, diversity, equity, and access, which are embedded in the uniqueness of the vibrant creative industries and the culture of the firm.
Click here for the downloadable PDF in English.