Director, Marketing & Communications
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, Arts Consulting Group (ACG) is the leading provider of hands-on interim management, executive search, revenue enhancement, strategic planning & community engagement, facilities & program planning, and other capacity building services for the arts and culture industry. Founded in 1997, ACG is a full-service firm that effectively works with a wide range of nonprofit organizations, universities, government agencies, and for-profit entities that operate in the creative industries. The firm takes a contemporary approach to client challenges and opportunities focused on growing institutions, advancing arts and culture, and enhancing communities. ACG senior team members have leadership experience in every type of artistic and cultural discipline and they seamlessly adapt to clients’ rapidly changing strategies, business models, and operating environments.
ACG’s commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Access, and Success (IDEAS) means that team members work closely with each client to understand the intersectionality of programs, audiences, educational activities, governance, and management with a clear focus on the communities these organizations seek to serve. Each client is unique and therefore these areas require careful discussion and consensus within the organization to ensure clarity at the launch of and throughout any consulting process. ACG also actively engaged in ongoing collective internal growth and team improvement around IDEAS principles with formal training and research focused on broader societal understanding and learning.
The firm currently has locations in Boston, Calgary, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, Raleigh, St. Louis, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington, DC. ACG employees and consultants are embedded in communities throughout North America to invigorate clients so that they can achieve the delicate balance between cultural impacts and business sustainability.
Based remotely and reporting to the Senior Vice President, Revenue Enhancement (SVP-RE), the Director, Marketing & Communications (Director) will be a strategic leader for all aspects of ACG’s marketing and communications effort, including regularly published written materials, branding, public relations, digital and analog marketing, client presentation support, and market research. The Director will lead a team of three and manage all content and infrastructure for ACG’s owned channels (web, email, and social) as well as pursue opportunities that position ACG to grow its international client base and service to the field. This includes developing and supporting sponsorships, consultant speaking engagements, media interviews, and arts and culture industry content that reflect ACG’s values and service areas. The Director will also oversee marketing and communications technology including the email client database, references, and testimonials. The role will interface with ACG leadership across all firm service areas while building a positive culture of engagement with marketing and communications activities throughout the firm.
Roles and Responsibilities
Strategy and Leadership
- Create and lead the strategy for marketing and communications plans that drive ACG’s ongoing brand positioning and business growth.
- Build the visibility and presence of ACG locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally, solidifying the image of the firm and ensuring that its vision and values are clearly articulated in all external and internal communications.
- Oversee and continuously improve the ACG website and mobile experience, engaging best practices and agile development with the goal of maximizing this trusted source for industry information.
- Develop and execute marketing and communications plans, including the management of regularly published written materials, web content, advertising, promotions, public relations campaigns, and collateral.
- Establish and cultivate collaborative relationships with media, key business partners, and marketing and communications vendors.
- Strategically leverage memberships, affiliations, and conference attendance to broadly connect the firm to clients and stakeholders across many geographic regions.
- Develop effective marketing and communications service integration between ACG practice areas and locations of the firm.
- Provide leadership in weekly all-team and active project meetings, as well as annual in-person summits.
- Advise the SVP-RE on marketing and communication matters and bring industry developments and best practices into consideration for the firm.
Client and Stakeholder Partnership
- Partner with ACG’s client-facing team to initiate and develop video and written content on field leadership, industry trends, surveys, research, and presentations including the oversight of the firm’s monthly publication, Arts Insights.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create compelling and accurate client materials, including position announcements, proposals, and presentations.
- Manage a complex portfolio of activities with overlapping timelines to effectively complete client and firm deliverables accurately and on time.
- Oversee and leverage ACG’s client references, ensuring that ACG references are up-to-date and shared with potential clients to build the firm’s network.
Team Leadership and Administration
- Recruit, train, supervise, mentor, and guide necessary qualified personnel and support talent for the marketing and communications activities.
- Create synergy within a distributed workforce with a one firm, one team model through positive participation in regular team meetings, training sessions, and summits.
- Actively seek professional growth in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion and collaborate with the team to advance the firm’s understanding and practices around these important principles.
- Maintain the department budget and support the reporting necessary to document ACG project progress, as well as marketing and communications key performance indicators.
- Assist in the onboarding of all new employees and provide marketing and communications training.
- Establish and maintain firm-wide standards for marketing and communications programs and oversee updates when needed.
Traits and Characteristics
The successful Director will be a motivated self-starter with the ability to strategically lead and prioritize projects that position ACG as a market leader while delivering public- and client-facing content that supports the firm and the team. This individual will have excellent writing and editing skills and be comfortable leading content discussions with a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders. The Director, Marketing & Communications will be adept in using existing technologies and open to new digital solutions and software when needed. A flexible and adaptable team player, this individual will demonstrate client and stakeholder focus, professional accountability, and interpersonal skills in working with the ACG team and external constituents. The Director will be motivated by the opportunity to grow the capacity of the firm through the creation and implementation of strategic marketing and communications plans and be energized by a fast-paced work environment.
Other key competencies include:
- Customer Focus – The flexibility to anticipate, meet, and exceed internal and external customer needs and expectations.
- Self-Starting and Goal Orientation – The agility to demonstrate initiative and to set, pursue, and attain goals while adapting seamlessly to new situations and changing circumstances.
- Time and Priority Management – The ingenuity to prioritize and complete tasks while meeting deadlines, creating an environment that is results-oriented and conducive to effectiveness.
- Personal and Professional Accountability – The capacity to self-evaluate by utilizing and analyzing feedback and data and to take responsibility for actions and results.
A bachelor’s degree in communications, business administration, or equivalent work experience, and at least five years in a similar role are preferred. Excellent written and oral communication skills and deep expertise with marketing technology is required. A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office is required and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact, and WordPress, or comparable programs, is expected. Preference will be given to those with a background in or passion for the arts.
Compensation and Benefits
ACG offers a competitive compensation package, with an expected salary range of $85,000 to $106,250 (commensurate with experience), and benefits that include subsidized medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid time off; 401(k) employer match; and among others. This position is expected to be 100% remote, based anywhere with internet access in the US and Canada. Occasional company in-person meetings and events will require travel.
Applications and Inquiries
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this job opportunity, please contact:
Nan Keeton, Senior Vice President
503 East Jackson Street, Suite 337
Tampa, FL 33602-4904
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 203
Arts Consulting Group welcomes all qualified applicants and highly values
inclusion, diversity, equity, and access, which are embedded in the uniqueness of
the vibrant creative industries and the culture of the firm.
Click here for the downloadable PDF in English.