GableStage Theatre seeks an ambitious arts administrator to collaborate with the board, staff, and community stakeholders on realizing the company’s vast potential as a leading regional theatre of scale and national reach.
GableStage Theatre (GableStage) is one of the longest-running and most highly acclaimed theatre companies in South Florida, striving to present vital and cutting-edge works of contemporary playwrights worldwide. It produces a five-play season in its intimate, 138-seat theatre on the grounds of the historic Biltmore Hotel. The company is the recipient of 64 Carbonell Awards, South Florida’s coveted theatre award, with over 200 nominations and received the Ruth Forman Award for major advancements in the South Florida theatre scene. Founded in 1979 as Florida Shakespeare Theatre, GableStage originally performed the plays of Shakespeare in repertory, using the outdoor Casino Gardens at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens.
With a mission to provide the South Florida community with classical, contemporary, and new theatrical productions of artistic excellence, GableStage challenges its multicultural audience with innovative plays that confront today’s issues and ideas. By emphasizing identity-conscious casting and employing the best of the region’s creative talent, GableStage endeavors to meet the needs of South Florida’s uniquely diverse community. Under the long-time leadership of legendary Producing Artistic Director, the late Joe Adler, GableStage was at the heart of producing adventurous theatre in South Florida for 23 years. Now, under the leadership of new Producing Artistic Director Bari Newport, GableStage has embarked on its next chapter, furthering the legacy of renowned work. The upcoming 25th anniversary season includes local premieres of August Wilson’s How I Learned What I Learned, Larissa FastHorse’s The Thanksgiving Play, Jon Marans’ Old Wicked Songs, Stefano Massini’s The Lehman Trilogy, and Alexis Scheer’s Laughs in Spanish.
Through its robust education programs, GableStage’s work has been experienced by over 250,000 students. Thousands of Miami-Dade County high school students are introduced to dynamic, contemporary storytelling through GableStage’s much–lauded student matinee series. The company’s flagship in-school offering, Shakespeare-in-the-Schools, visits more than 20 Miami-Dade public and private high schools each year. Each production is re-imagined in a contemporary context. In 2022, GableStage debuted its Ignite Program which provides students and teachers the scripts for the season and interactive study guides for each production. They are then visited by a teaching artist and a member of the creative team for a private workshop.
Dramaturgical opportunities for adult theatre goers are now being offered on-line and at the theatre to expand their understanding of professional theatre production. The centerpiece offering is the popular daily pre-performance talk provided by GableStage’s artistic staff. These efforts are designed to inspire a life-long passion for the theatrical art form in all members of the community.
GableStage is proud to be a part of the thriving South Florida theatre and business community and is a member of Theatre Communications Group, Theatre League of South Florida, Americans for the Arts, Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce, the Miami-Dade Gay & Lesbian Chamber Commerce, and the Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce. The organization has been approved to be the theatre-in-residence and operator of the historic Coconut Grove Playhouse, following a long-planned renovation, in conjunction with Miami-Dade County and Florida International University. The timeline for completion of the Coconut Grove Playhouse’s renovation is to be determined.
GableStage is governed by a 17-member Board of Directors, led by Board Chair Roz Stuzin. Bari Newport has served as Producing Artistic Director since June 1, 2021, following the 23-year tenure of founding Producing Artistic Director Joseph Adler. GableStage has a full-time staff of 12 employees. For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2022, GableStage reported revenue of $2.3 million, with approximately 75% coming from contributed sources. GableStage has a consistent record of balancing its budget and carries no debt.
Coral Gables is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, located southwest of Downtown Miami. Home to GableStage, Coral Gables is centrally located, putting it within easy reach of the Port of Miami, Miami International Airport, Little Havana, Coconut Grove, and Miami Beach. Dubbed “The City Beautiful,” it is known for its tree-lined boulevards, ivy-covered mansions, and historical landmarks such as the world-famous Biltmore Hotel and the Venetian Pool, both built in the 1920s. Within Coral Gables, one can find the shopping and dining paradise known as Miracle Mile, along with the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden and the University of Miami.
Miami is a cosmopolitan city that combines urban amenities with outstanding beaches, a subtropical climate, and breathtaking natural beauty. Miami is the hub of the fast-growing Miami-Dade County, with a population of more than 2.7 million countywide residents and more than 454,000 citywide residents. An estimated 69% of the city’s population identify as Hispanic, 55% is foreign-born, and more than 76% of residents speak a language other than English at home.
Miami has a rich history as a trendsetting arts center. Its entertainment, production, and arts communities are stronger than ever, making the city a major international cultural destination. A recent economic impact study of the nonprofit arts and culture industry, conducted by Americans for the Arts, placed Miami-Dade County in the top ranks for arts-vibrant communities. The county’s arts and cultural sector annually generates an impressive $1.4 billion in local economic activity.
GableStage is a leader among the region’s arts and culture organizations, joining major South Florida theatres such as the Actors’ Playhouse, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Arca Images, Maltz Jupiter Theatre, Miami New Drama, and Zoetic Stage, among dozens of producing and presenting organizations. The visual arts play an essential role in Miami and are represented by the world-class Pérez Art Museum Miami, Institute of Contemporary Art, The Bass, Vizcaya Museum & Gardens, numerous galleries, and Art Basel, the international exposition in Miami Beach. The Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science is also a major attraction, as well as the New World Symphony, which is based on Miami Beach within the Frank Gehry-designed New World Center.
With year-round sunny skies, outdoor activities abound in and near Miami. The beautiful Biscayne Bay, Bayfront Park, Coral Gables, Everglades, and Florida Keys offer numerous recreational activities all easily accessible. Miami’s nightlife is unsurpassed, with countless clubs, bars, and restaurants. Several major professional sports teams are also represented in Miami including the NBA Miami Heat, NFL Miami Dolphins, MLB Miami Marlins, and NHL Florida Panthers.
Edited Sources: census.gov; miamidadearts.org; visitflorida.com; miamiandbeaches.com
Reporting to the Producing Artistic Director with the input of the board, the Managing Director will provide administrative and financial oversight over all aspects of the organization’s day-to-day. They will serve as an ex officio member of the board and will collaborate closely with the board and Producing Artistic Director to establish an achievable long-term vision and strategy that builds on GableStage’s outstanding reputation and potential for organizational growth. Guided by GableStage’s mission, this individual will be responsible for managing all the company’s administrative functions including marketing, development, box office, general and financial management, human resources, community relations, board relations, donor cultivation, fundraising events, front of house, and strategic planning. They will foster GableStage’s team-based, highly-collaborative, supportive, and generous environment for artists and the many people who make the work of GableStage possible—on stage, behind the scenes, in the offices, in the classroom, online, and throughout the community.
Roles and Responsibilities
Fundraising, Marketing, and Audience Development
- Expand audiences by formulating and implementing comprehensive marketing, public relations, and social media campaigns and increase revenue from single ticket sales, group sales, subscription sales, concessions, rentals, community presentations, education programs, digital programming, and other earned revenue possibilities.
- Guide and administer staff and board fundraising initiatives to create strategies for growing contributed revenue with an emphasis on solicitation, stewardship, and cultivation of existing and new funders.
- Build and maintain strong professional relationships with business leaders and the funding community including key donors, foundations, public funders, and corporations.
- Oversee box office staff and utilize the patron database management software to its full capacity.
- Assess and adapt audience development, subscription, and fundraising plans based on the specific, unique nature of GableStage’s mission, and the Coral Gables and Coconut Grove communities.
- Drive GableStage’s digital presence by implementing innovative strategies to grow followers on digital platforms and increase audiences for streaming performances.
- Support the Director of Development in the planning, production, and hosting of fundraising events in close collaboration with the staff.
Board and External Relations
- Establish strong communication channels with the board, serving as the primary liaison, and support the collective work to leverage their networks to secure resources that will advance the organization’s mission.
- Collaborate with the board, guiding and supporting board members in governance, strategy, and accountability.
- Maintain a consistent presence as a highly engaged member of the Coral Gables and South Florida community focused on increasing the visibility and reputation of GableStage in arts, culture, public, corporate, government, and philanthropic communities.
Operational Leadership and Strategic Planning
- Maintain transparent and frequent communication with the Chair of the Board, the Board of Directors, the Producing Artistic Director, the staff, organizational partners, and artists.
- Partner with the Producing Artistic Director and the Board of Directors to establish a long-term vision and sustainable strategy, create new operating models as necessary, and assess facility needs for administration, rehearsals, education programs, storage, set construction, artist housing and performances.
- Collaborate with the Producing Artistic Director and Business Manager to plan and budget season programming and negotiate agreements with producing partners.
- Develop and implement best human resources practices including benefits administration, employee onboarding, hiring policies, employee performance and compensation reviews, drafting contracts for contractors, and ensuring that union agreements are followed.
- Oversee company management, ensuring that guest artists are provided with travel, housing, and ground transportation according to budget, union agreements, and GableStage values.
- Openly communicate financial plans and current financial condition to the Producing Artistic Director, Board of Directors and disclose budget discrepancies, issues of potential concern, and risks to the organization in a proactive and timely manner.
- Create decisive action plans with the staff that include clearly defined operational priorities and measurable goals, while fostering a teamwork culture of shared accountability.
Traits and Characteristics
The Managing Director will be a goal-oriented, ambitious collaborator inspired by GableStage’s mission and energized by the idea of partnering with the Producing Artistic Director and working closely with the board, staff, and community to define and realize the company’s institutional goals and long-term vision. They will be an entrepreneurial and forward-thinking leader willing to participate in the details of day-to-day operations, and who empowers and celebrates their colleagues to bring out their best. Exhibiting a resilient spirit and a desire to grow this organization to its full potential, the Managing Director will be a proactive and approachable manager, a hands-on team-builder, capable of uniting the collective talent and resources of GableStage to build upon its legacy and secure a path toward its future. While maintaining a local, regional, and national presence, the Managing Director will embrace a public-facing, service-minded approach to building meaningful partnerships with diverse and dynamic communities.
Other key competencies include:
- Personal Accountability and Time and Priority Management – The capacity to be answerable for personal actions while prioritizing and completing tasks in order to deliver desired outcomes within allotted time frames.
- Project Management, Planning, and Organizing – The ability to identify and oversee all resources, tasks, systems, and people to obtain results while establishing courses of action that ensure work is completed effectively.
- Self-Starting – The facility to demonstrate initiative and willingness to begin working.
- Diplomacy and Interpersonal Skills – The capability to handle difficult or sensitive issues while effectively communicating, building rapport, and relating well to all kinds of people.
GableStage does not require a specific number of years of experience or minimum educational credentials. Candidates should demonstrate a history of successful leadership and managerial experience, as well as previous experience in fundraising, community engagement, marketing, sales, public relations, financial management, operations, and strategic planning. Exceptional communication and collaborative skills are required, as is the desire to directly engage with Coral Gables and Miami communities alongside GableStage staff. Candidates need not come from within the performing arts sector, although a passion for theatre and knowledge of the field are expected.
Compensation and Benefits
GableStage provides a competitive compensation package with a salary range between $105,000 and $120,000 and benefits that include health insurance; flexible paid vacation, holidays, personal and sick days; and access to the Biltmore Hotel amenities. A relocation bonus will be offered to the placed candidate if they are not local.
Applications and Inquiries
To submit a cover letter and resume with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments (electronic submissions preferred), please click here or visit artsconsulting.com/employment. For questions or general inquiries about this job opportunity, please contact:
Flora Stamatiades, Associate Vice President
1040 First Avenue, Suite 352
New York, New York 10022-2991
Tel (888) 234.4236 Ext. 238
GableStage is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Click here for the downloadable PDF.